February 28, 2013

A Victorian Wall Table

It was August 2011. The announcement of the workshops which will be given in the Rijnhal in Arnhem are announced. What will I do this time.
A workshop with Chris Malcomson. With him we will make a Victorian wall table of walnut wood.
Or at Hazel Dowd. We will make a wedding dress.
As a follower of my blogspot you know that I did choose for the wedding dress.

Last Friday, at last, I made the wall table. Actually I should say we. Together with my mini-friend Marie-Louise I bought the workshop package from Chris in October 2011 at the fair. As we followed before twice a workshop with him we would be able to make the table independently at home.
Here the results.


The table on the right is from Marie-Louise. The table top is still loose. So there is some work to do.


It was not easy to bookmatch (to mirror the grain) the veneer. The match is not 100% but we are very happy with the symmetrical pattern that we have found.

Some pictures of the other workshops that we followed with Chris in the past.
The half scale side table is mine. The big brother is made by Marie-Louise. The picture on the right is the Dowry Chest I made. The half scale Dowry Chest I made later at home.

Krin

13 comments:

  1. WHOWDYYYY!!!!!!

    Groeten van Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mooi he Paula. Het is echt de moeite waard om, wanneer je de mogelijkheden hebt, bij Chris een workshop te volgen. Hij is een geweldige leraar die goede instructies geeft. En zijn pakketjes die hij daarvoor klaar maakt zijn zo compleet. Ik kijk al uit om weer eens een workshop bij hem te volgen.
      groetjes, Krin

      Delete
  2. Heel mooi geworden Karin.

    Groetjes Thea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeetje wat een mooie tafeltjes! Alleen het model heeft al een hoge wauwsfactor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je Roelie. Vooral het Victoriaanse tafeltje is erg mooi met dat walnotenhout in spiegelbeeld.
      groetjes, Krin

      Delete
  4. Ze zijn allemaal even mooi! Zit het fineerhout ook in de pakketjes?

    Groetjes Idske

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je voor het compliment Idske. Het gaat bij Chris juist om het fineren van een object. Helaas verkoopt Chris normaal geen pakketjes. Ik hoop niet dat mijn verhaal zo onduidelijk is dat ik die indruk wek.
      groetjes Krin

      Delete
    2. Nee hoor, mijn comment was een beetje kort door de bocht, sorry. Ik wil zelf ook graag zo'n workshop doen. Ik maak zelf ook meubeltjes en heb wel het eea gefineerd, ik vroeg me alleen af hoe het werkt bij zo'n workshop, of je alleen het karkas in elkaar zet en dan de rest thuis doet en of je daar dan zelf het fineer voor moet hebben. :)

      groetjes, Idske

      Delete
    3. Idske, om je een idee te geven hoe een pakketje van Chris eruit ziet. Kijk hier maar even.
      http://morethanmini.blogspot.nl/2011/03/class-with-chris-malcomson.html

      groetjes, Krin

      Delete
  5. Choices, choices....;-) I did take the class back then and it was fun and we all learned things we had never done before. In hindsight I should have bought an extra little kit to make a matching table. Oh well.

    I remember Chris had a stick of coloured hard wax to fill in the cracks in the veneer. What finish are you going to put on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Josje,

      Thank you for youre reply. I will buy some of that furiture wax. Hopefully I can buy a small piece. After that I will use the same polish and linseed oil as we used by the Dowry Chest and other side table we made in the past.

      Delete
  6. The tables look very good, you are lucky to have so many workshops available. love all the toys you have made, and those leather shoes are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete